BRAZIER, JOSEPH, LTD.
Model Search
Select Category
BRAZIER, JOSEPH, LTD.
Previous manufacturer established in circa 1700 and located in West Sussex, England. Previously represented in the U.S. by Joseph Brazier, Ltd - Karl Lippard, gunmaker, located in Colorado Springs, CO.
This firm was founded in approx. 1702 by William Brazier, Gunmaker, London (1721-1753), and was continued by his son, John Brazier, also of London, from 1741-1769. Benjamin Brazier was established in Wolverhampton from 1818-1835. Joseph Brazier was listed as a gun and lock maker at the same address (9 Brick Kiln Street) during 1827. From 1834 to 1887, the address was "The Ashes" on Great Brick Kiln Street, Wolverhampton. By 1838, the firm was also making implements, and had been appointed lock makers to the East India Company and the Board of Ordnance. In 1849, Joseph's elder son, also named Joseph, was made a partner, and the firm became known as Joseph Brazier & Son. By 1851, younger son Richard Brazier was made a partner, and the firm was renamed J & R Brazier. This company exhibited locks and accessories at the Great Exhibition of 1851.
During this same time, J & R Brazier was making gun furniture, sights, bullets, moulds, and breech loading actions. In 1855, Joseph Brazier patented a lever ramrod for Adams self-cocking pistols (No. 760) (single action later converted to double action), and the Adams revolvers, which he made under license. During 1858, Richard Brazier patented a loading device (No. 1593), and at least one revolver using this patent was made; the name engraved on the revolver was "Joseph Brazier & Son", which implied that Richard had died, and the firm's name had reverted.
By 1859, Joseph Brazier Jr. registered two designs, the first (No. 1056) was for a spring clamp, and the second (No. 1068) was for a lock vise. In 1864, Joseph Brazier Jr. reportedly patented a snap action breech loading mechanism (patent not traced). By 1872, the firm was classified as gun barrel makers, and in 1874 (as well as 1879-1880), the firm was recognized as gunmakers - breech loading. After 1874, the firm changed its name to Joseph Brazier & Sons, most likely indicating Joseph Sr. had retired after taking his sons into the business as partners. During 1876, the firm purchased a license to manufacture Anson & Deeley's famous patent boxlock. In 1887, William Mansfield Jr. became a senior partner, and the company moved from "The Ashes Works" to Lord Street. Mansfield was a lock maker on Lord Street from 1875-1896 and during 1887 under the name J. Brazier & Sons, patented the "Galwey Brazier Improved Game Scorer", which fitted into the forend or stock of a shotgun. By 1896, William Mansfield either retired or died, and G. Brazier together with W. Cashmore patented a safety for a hammerless gun.
It appears that after 1896, the Brazier family regained control of the business. Around 1920, the firm, which had approx. 26 employees, was bought by Edwin Chilton of Wolverhampton, and Brazier named locks continued to be made until 1978, when Chilton closed down the company. After 1978, Joseph Brazier was registered as Magnum Arms Company Ltd. at 46 Newhampton Rd. West, Wolverhampton, West Midlands. In 1983, Joseph Brazier Ltd. was registered as a limited company, and by 1993 was acquired and incorporated.
Recently until 2010, Joseph Brazier manufactured complete guns, gunlocks for the HMS Victory, firearm locks, parts, accessories, and new technology Solid Solid one piece barrels for the trade. The firm also offered state of the art engineering services to the English gunmaking trade and was an engineering consultant to 14 major firearms manufacturers.

From Blue Book Publications:


No part of this information may be reproduced in any form whatsoever, by photograph, mimeograph, fax transmission or any other mechanical or electronic means. Nor can it be broadcast or transmitted, by translation into any language, nor by electronic recording or otherwise, without the express written permission from the publisher.