BRNO ARMS (ZBROJOVKA BRNO)
Model Search
Select Category
BRNO ARMS (ZBROJOVKA BRNO)
Previously manufactured by Zbrojovka Brno located in Brno, Czech Republic (formerly Czechoslovakia) from 1918-2006. Brno 98 bolt action rifles and actions were imported by EAA Corp, located in Sharpes, FL until 2002. Also previously imported and distributed by Euro-Imports, located in El Cajon, CA until 2001 and by Bohemia Arms located in Fountain Valley, CA until 1997. Brno rifles, shotguns, and combination guns produced at the Brno factory were previously imported and distributed by Magnum Research Inc. located in Minneapolis, MN (c. 1994-1996). In the early ´50s, Brno rifles were imported by Continental Arms Corp. located in New York City. Pragotrade located in Ontario, Canada also imported this trademark for Canada exclusively. Previously imported by T.D. Arms located in New Baltimore, MD.
As more history is becoming available on this important European trademark, the following biographical sketch will provide some information. Circa 1918, some military personnel took over the controlling interest of the Austro-Hungarian armament shop in Brno, Czechoslovakia, renaming it The State Armament and Engineering Works. Approximately a year later, the name was changed to Czechoslovak State Armament Works. The former provinces of Bohemia and Moravia had long been firearms manufacturing centers within their regions. Prior to 1924, this firm was involved mainly with Mauser Model 98 type rifles (both assembly and mfg.).
Pistol manufacture was tranferred from Brno to Ceská Zbrojovka, located in Strakonice, Czechoslovakia, circa 1923. During 1964-1966, the Czech government transferred the production of long guns from Zbrojovka Brno to Ceská Zbrojovka Uhersky Brod. During the 1970s & 1980s, the arms production of Zbrojovka Brno accounted for less than 3% of its total capacity. The activities of this company were deverted into the production of typewriters, diesel motors, and automatic machine tools. While many firearm designs originated in Brno, Zbrojovka Brno was not the manufacturer. Because of this, the long guns manufactured in the mid-1960s, including the ZKK 600 - 602 series and ZKM rimfires, were manufactured in CZ Uhersky Brod. Because of the Czech government's decision to merge manufacture within both companies, the Brno trademark was also used by Ceská Zbrojovka Uhersky Brod.
This relationship was terminated in 1983, when both companies became part of the Agrozet conglomerate. While confusing, the arms utlizing the Brno trademark were not produced in Brno during this time. All firearms exported from Czechoslovakia at the time carried the Brno logo, and most of them were manufactured by Ceská Zbrojovka Uhersky Brod.
Brno was declared bankrupt in March 2003. Shortly after, Brno emerged from bankruptcy, but fell back in during Oct. 2003. The company continued to trade under administration until Zbrojovka Brno finally closed in 2006. The facilities were bought by a Slovak firm, and the owners wanted to support various business activities in the future. The majority of the firm's employees transferred to Brno Rifles a subsidiary of Ceska Zbrojovka (CZ), which was established in Brno to continue production of Brno firearms. Please refer to Brno Rifles for current manufacture.
Brno's famous Z banner trademark was sold to an undisclosed buyer on November 6, 2007.

From Blue Book Publications:


No part of this information may be reproduced in any form whatsoever, by photograph, mimeograph, fax transmission or any other mechanical or electronic means. Nor can it be broadcast or transmitted, by translation into any language, nor by electronic recording or otherwise, without the express written permission from the publisher.