These models are similar to the one you are viewing.
the 1921 was an entirely new gun, with similar barrel lengths (12, 15, or 18 in.), not nearly as pleasing in appearance as the 1908. The same barrel lengths were standard, but the bottom barrel was chambered for the 2 in. .410. In 1924, the standard chamber was changed to 2 1/2 in. .410. It featured a bag style, oiled walnut grip, and a unique "Triple Combination Rear Sight," which was developed and made only for this model. A number of guns in the 14,000 to 16,000 serial number range can be found with brown plastic grips, conventional "v" notch rear sight adjustable for elevation. The 1921 featured a folding and hinged 3 piece stock with an improved lock which eliminated wobble, but had no adjustment for drop. It also had a shorter action than the 1908, which was a faster action, and the hammer rebounded to a safety notch after firing. As with the 1908 Model, Marbles would accomodate the wishes of the customer, and barrels as short as 8 in. can be found. Some guns were ordered choke bored, and some were chambered just for .44 Game Getter on the bottom barrel. A few had no provision for stock, at least 2 were shipped in .32-20, and as records are not complete, .38-40 cal. models are known to exist and calibers like the .25-20 are thought to exist. Supplied with a heavy cardboard box, shoulder holster, cleaning rod and instructions. First shipment was serial number 10,001 - shipped to William L. Marble, the west coast representative, on Oct. 4, 1921. Serial range 10,000-20,076.
.22 LR cal. over .410 bore, 18 1/2 in. barrels, patterned after the Game Getter Model 1921, folding sporting rear sight, aperture tang sight, original barrel band beaded front sight, includes replica leather holster and slide top pine wood box, assembled and finished by Doug Turnbull Restoration. Only prototypes were mfg.
12 or 20 ga. over .243 Win. or .222 Rem. cal., boxlock action, game scene engraved frame with silver finish, double triggers, folding rear sight, skipline checkering, with sling swivels. Importation disc. 1993.
several important physical characteristics were changed during this transition period. Most notably, in 1896 the vertical screw retaining the cylinder pin was eliminated in favor of the horizontal latch. This was identical to what had already been used on the double action models since 1877. This change coincided with the introduction of ammunition loaded with white or smokeless powder, which was more powerful and less corrosive than black powder. It was necessary for firearms manufacturers, therefore, to modify and strengthen their products to safely use the new ammunition. By adopting the more modern and tool-free horizontal latch for the Single Action at this time, Colt gave its customers an easy way to tell the new from the old, the stronger from the weaker, and a good excuse to purchase a new Peacemaker! As a result, sales boomed and more Single Actions were sold in the next ten years, than any other ten year period in Colt's history.
The knurling pattern on the hammer spur began a two step revision in 1906. Up until this time, the knurling was enclosed in a border with a line underneath. Beginning in 1906, for approximately two years, the border remained, but the line underneath was eliminated. By late 1908, the border was also eliminated, and thereafter, the knurling ran to the very edges of the hammer spur. Although Colt advertised their improved smokeless powder Single Actions as early as 1897, they did not add the "VP" proof mark (verified proof, Colt's guarantee for smokeless powder use) to the trigger guard until 1904. While the highest production and sales figures were reached during this period, quality did not suffer. Many collectors feel that the fitting, polishing and finishing work performed during this period was superior to any other.