Current trademark of long arms produced by Savage Arms, Inc. Beginning in 1999, Savage Arms, Inc. began manufacturing/importing Stevens trademarked guns again, including rifles and shotguns. J. Stevens Arms Company was founded in 1864 at Chicopee Falls, MA as J. Stevens & Co. In 1886 the name was changed to J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co. In 1916, the plant became New England Westinghouse, and tooled up for Mosin-Nagant Rifles. In 1920, the plant was sold to the Savage Arms Corp. and manufactured guns were marked "J. Stevens Arms Co." This designation was dropped in the late 1940s, and only the name "Stevens" has been used up to 1990. On July 1, 2019, Vista announced that it sold Savage's (and its subsidiaries Stevens and Fox) firearms to Long Range Acquisition, LLC.
Depending on the remaining Stevens factory data, a factory letter authenticating the configuration of a particular specimen, along with dates produced may be obtained by contacting the company directly. The charge for this service is $25.00 per gun - please allow 8 weeks for an adequate response.
For more Stevens model information, please refer to the Serialization section in the back of this text.